CHAS has now made available online extracts from the Journals for the Preservation for the Memorials of the Dead in Ireland (JPMDI) relating to Carlow and Laois (Queens Co.).
These extracts contain gravestone inscriptions, church records, family history and local history collected between 1888 and 1916 under the auspices of the Association for the Preservation of the Memorials of the Dead in Ireland. The journal was edited by P.D. Vigors of Holloden, a soldier turned farmer and antiquarian. He died in 1903 and was succeeded by local antiquaries, Lord Walter Fitzgerald and Canon JFM Ffrench, Rector of Clonegal.
This information is particularly valuable as a lot of the gravestones recorded may now be unreadable or lost. The journal also contains details from Parish registers, family histories and other historical records, a lot of which were lost in the destruction of the Public Records Office in 1922.
The Carlow and Laois/Queens entries are listed in the chronological order in which they appear in the journals, with their page number in brackets. Please note some of the locations will have multiple entries, sometimes in different volumes.
The extracts are available under the ‘Resources’ tab on the CHAS website (www.carlowhistorical.com) or can be accessed using the link below